Vai al contenuto
    Vai avanti per accedere ai risultati suggeriti

    Experiences involving transportation in Singapore

    This page is here to help give you a starting point to find out about some of the obligations that may apply to you if you decide to host Experiences on Airbnb. It’s for your information only and includes summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to official resources that you may find helpful.

    Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.

    Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the law has not changed recently.*

    I’m planning to drive my guests to and from my Experience in Singapore? Do I need a licence or registration to allow me to do this?

    You may be considered to be operating a Private Hire Car if you drive your guests, for which you will require a licence. A Private Hire Car is a “motor car which does not ply for hire on any road but is hired under a contract, express or implied, for the use of such vehicle as a whole”.

    However, you may not require a licence if the ride you’re offering is incidental to and not an integral part of your Experience. If the ride is integral to your Experience, even if no fee is charged directly on the ride (but the ride is included in the Experience), your car may still be considered to be a "Private Hire Car" that attracts the requirement of a licence. Specifically, you will need to convert your driving licence to a Z10 or Z11 public service vehicle licence, which is for chauffeur driven “Private Hire Cars”, with the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

    If you are unsure as to whether your experience requires a public service vehicle licence, we encourage you to reach out to the LTA or speak to your lawyer to make sure you are following the laws.

    Here is an example where you are likely to require a public service vehicle licence:

    • I am a foodie and I want to bring fellow foodies around my neighbourhood for a food tour. I will be driving them to several food stops as part of the food tour.

    Here is an example where you may not require a public service vehicle licence:

    • I conduct a yoga class in my home and I ask my class attendees to gather at an MRT station near my home. I will pick them up and drop them off at the station after class.

    If your Experience requires a public service vehicle licence, before driving any guests you must ensure that:

    • you have a valid class 3/3A driving licence;
    • you have registered a business (such as a sole proprietorship) with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA). You can do this by accessing the bizfile website and logging in using your Singpass ID and password;
    • you have transferred ownership of your car to your registered business;
    • you have procured insurance which covers the use of the vehicle for a commercial purpose and the insurance policy allows third parties such as passengers in your Private Hire Car to claim compensation from the insurer in the event of an accident (mandated under the Motor Vehicles (Third-Party) Risks and Compensation) Act;
    • you have converted your licence from a P10/P11 which is for private use to a Z10 or Z11 public service vehicle licence which is for chauffeur driven “Private Hire Cars” with the LTA (you will have to approach the LTA for the conversion process); and
    • you have up-to-date road tax.

    Note that you may attract criminal liability including financial penalties and/or jail for failing to have the requisite public service vehicle licence and commercial insurance. You will also be required to comply with the Road Traffic (Public Service Vehicles) Rules which specify amongst others that Private Hire Cars (unlike taxis) are not allowed to ply the roads for hire or pick up passengers from a taxi stand.

    Private Hire Car Driver Vocational Licence

    The LTA has announced that they will be introducing a Private Hire Car Driver Vocational Licence (“PDVL”) framework by the first half of 2017 requiring all drivers who wish to provide chauffeured Private Hire Car services to obtain a PDVL. The proposed pre-requisites for securing a PDVL include possession of a Class 3/3A driving licence for at least 2 years at the time of application and completion of a PDVL course.

    Note that the PDVL requirement is in addition to the Private Hire Car licence (discussed above). (The Private Hire Car licence is issued in respect of the vehicle, authorising its use as a Private Hire Car, while the PDVL is required for individuals who intend to drive the Private Hire Car.)

    More information may be found here.

    My experience involves going to a couple of separate venues, which are not walking distance from each other. I want to provide transportation between the two venues. I plan to order a licensed taxi or Uber or other licensed form of transportation. Do I need a specific licence to allow me to do this?

    You will not require a licence in order to book transportation with a licensed transport provider if you are merely making on the spot bookings instead of chartering transport, and if you do not charge for this service.

    Is there anything else I should think about?

    If your experience will involve combining transportation with another activity (for example, providing a guided tour of the city using your car), please take a look at our other information sections such as Guiding Tours in Singapore to work out if any other rules might apply to your activity.

    *Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).